Nidra ( Sleep) in Ayurveda is considered one among the Trayoupasthambha along with Ahara and Brahmacharya.
Nidraayatam Sukham Dukham Pusthi Karshya Bala Abalam | Vrishata Klibata Jnana Ajnana Jivitam na cha || Charaka Samhita Sutra. Sthana 21 /36
Ayurvedic Scholars state that, delight and sorrow, nourishment and wasting, strength and weakness, virility and impotence, knowledge and ignorance as well as the survival of life and its termination depends on the sleep.
Padabhyanga or Reflexology – Accupressure – Accupunture all effectively explains the benefits of massaging the feet. Ayurveda explains that massaging the feets with oil can give immediately relief from:
1. Roughness of the foot- Pada Kharatvam
2. Stiffness of the foot- Pada Stabdhata
3. Dryness of the foot- Pada roukshyam
4. Tiredness of foot- Pada shramam
5. Numbeness and tingling of the foot and legs- Pada Supti
Padabhyanga is attributed with following benefits:
1. Balances Vata and help relax- Marutopashama
2. Helps to sleep better- Nidra Janaka
3. Stength the joints and tissues of the foot- Pada Balam
4. Improves stability of foot- Pada Sthairyam
5. Helps in improving and maintain good eyesight- Drishto prasada
6. Tenderness and attractiveness of the foot- Pada Saukumaryam